Saturday, November 2, 2013

My First Studio Visit

I gave my first ever studio tour and talk in the middle of October...I played host to a group of mixed media needle-workers who live here on the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia. I have to admit that I was a little nervous at first, but I soon overcame this as these women made me feel so comfortable and at ease.
Their visit took place close to Halloween so I decided to create bats in every stage of development...I sewed and sewed and finally I had a group that I could work with and talk about...bat parts, unpainted bats, finished bats, bats of all shapes and sizes.
I talked about what inspires me to create my art... below is one of the group members perusing my collection of 100 year old Beatrix Potter children's books. I also talked about how I got started and how long I've been creating my characters.
I had examples of my pieces sitting in my studio and throughout my home...books were piled here and there...books that have helped me grow as an artist. Techniques, supplies used, bits and bobs of information that I thought would be interesting and helpful.
We had so much fun and I felt so honored that these women would want to spend an afternoon hearing me chat about my work...
And last but not least...I couldn't let this lovely bunch go home without first treating them to some Pumpkin Pie and Mulled Apple Cider...a perfect finish to a perfect day!

Thank-you ladies for coming to my home, thank-you for inviting me to join your group...I happily accept and am looking forward to our monthly meetings and the opportunity to learn and grow together! 
 & a big thank-you to Robyn :) for taking photos.

PS - I am busy, busy working on a group of Christmas and winter inspired pieces...progress photos to come soon.

Cheerios,
Susan

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails